Community Music School accomplishes its work through a rigorous student-teacher-parent partnership to ensure success. Weekly, private music lessons are just one component of the learning process that is balanced with recitals, master classes, concerts, ensemble performances, and an interactive online learning laboratory with the prestigious Berklee College of Music in Boston.
We provide an opportunity for children, ages 6 to 18, from low-income families to receive one-on-one music instruction in orchestral instruments, piano, percussion, or guitar. We also provide instruments and music books for the students to use free of charge while they are enrolled. To supplement classroom instruction, CMS hosts recitals and special performances for its students and works with area arts organizations to provide opportunities for them to attend additional events and concerts.
Programming currently includes:
- 30 weeks of private music instruction during the school year
- Recitals for students
- The Showcase of talent for ensembles and advanced students
- Faculty-student recital for advanced students
- Master classes and juries
- Various special workshops throughout the year